Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

Fabric Labels-- A La Handmade!


This simply had to be one of the most rewarding projects I have done. Why? Because it makes my little business feel a bit more legitimate.  And it was easy!

Want to make your own fabric labels for your projects?
 Here's how. 
First you need to gather your materials.  What you'll need:

  • Cotton twill tape(the width will depend on how you want to apply them to your work, as well, as the size of your logo)
  • Iron-on T-shirt transfers.  ( I used Avery, but you can use any brand you like. as long as it is for cotton or the material you want to use)
  • You'll need access to an ink jet printer  and label making software. I used the return address label making function through my word program.
  • An x-acto knife
  • Straight edge of some sort
  • An iron
  • and stop fray. This is optional but really helps give a nice finished look and helps prevent the tag from fraying.
 First, you need to design your tag. I went simple. Just the name in a simple script similar to my business cards.

Then you need to print you tag design onto the transfer. DO NOT FORGET to print them in the reverse. On my printer it is called mirror. This way once you iron them on they will be the right way!

After you print your sheet you'll need to cut out your tags so that they can be applied to the cotton twill tape.


Then comes the ironing. Iron your transfer onto the tape. I suggest doing a dummy run just to make sure you like the positioning before you make up a bunch and realize you put them in the wrong spot. 





Once that is all said and done do your final trimming and apply the Stop Fray. 

And voila!! You have made beautiful professional looking tags for your products.

You could also use this method on fabric remnants you have giving your tags a unique and fun feeling.  Either way experiment and find a look that fits you and your brand.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! And thanks for the tutorial - I had no clue how to make those lol. They turned out perfectly - love the font and the dark purple is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! I should start making stuff so I can make labels too. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete